New Delhi: January 20e noon will be the inauguration of Joe Biden as 46e President of the United States of America. It will mark the start of Joe Biden’s four-year tenure as president and Kamala Harris as vice-president. Since this happens, during a pandemic the ceremony was supposed to be very different. This is the first time that the Inauguration Ceremony will be in a modified short format with very strict security.
Here’s everything you need to know about the ribbon cutting ceremony:
- Biden’s inauguration speech is expected to last around 20 minutes, four years ago his predecessor Trump’s speech was 15 minutes long. Although his transfer is more chaotic than most, he is likely to face the turmoil but at the same time to present an optimistic tone.
- Donald Trump, will not attend the inauguration ceremony. This is the first time in the history of the United States that his predecessor will not attend the inauguration of the president-elect.
- However, Mike Pence will attend the Biden-Harris inauguration. He was absent at President Trump’s farewell ceremony.
- Biden, Harris and their wives, along with former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton and their wives, will lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
- The opening day is scheduled to take place on January 20 and opening remarks are usually scheduled around 11:30 a.m. EST (4:30 p.m. GMT) and Joe Biden and Kamala Harris will be sworn in at noon. After that, Biden will move to the White House later today – his home for the next four years.
- Since this inauguration has taken place in the midst of a pandemic. This will be the first time that the National Mall will be closed. A complete difference from previous years when up to 1 million people gathered between the Lincoln Memorial and the United States Capitol to witness the swearing-in of the new president.
- No less than 20,000 different members of the National Guard will be present as well as the city’s full police force of 3,700 officers. The security details should be exquisite, especially after the siege of the US Capitol.
- Biden had planned to take the Amtrak train to DC for his inauguration, replicating his journey during his decades in the Senate, but the FBI and Secret Service advised him not to do so after the U.S. Capitol riot.
- The inaugural balls and the afternoon have both been canceled. Although it was originally planned for a modified format, but after consulting with Biden’s inaugural planners, the Congressional Joint Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies canceled it altogether, Bloomberg reported.
- However, Lady Gaga will sing the national anthem and Jennifer Lopez and Bruce Springsteen will be the musical performance of the day.